Individual Licenses

Every ECCC racer must have a current USAC Collegiate license, which is good for all seasons throughout the year. If you'll be doing several races you should purchase an annual license, but if you just want to try things out you can also purchase a 1-day license.

The Men's B lead group at the 2010 Yale Crit.
The Men's B lead group at the 2010 Yale Crit. (photo: Chatura Atapattu)
  • Annual License. USAC Collegiate annual licenses cost $35 or are a free addition to a non-collegiate USAC license (i.e., your Road or Mountain racing license, typically $70). Take note that they are valid until the end of the calendar year, not the academic year.
    Annual licenses can be purchased with cash, check, or credit card at every race and are valid immediately; hold onto your copy of the form as it serves as your license until your receive your card in the mail. It is much easier and faster, however, to purchase a license online at the USAC website. These licenses are also effective immediately. It will take a week or so for a license card to be mailed to you, but after creating an account you can login and print an "Authorization to Ride" from your account that will serve as your license until the card arrives.
  • 1-Day License. New racers can also purchase a $15 license good for one day of racing. These are available to purchase by cash or check at every race. These are only valid for the beginner's categories (i.e., Men D, Men Intro, Women D, and Women Intro in Road; C in MTB; Men C and Women B in Cyclocross).

In general, you should purchase an annual if there's any chance you'll do more than a day of racing. Note that 1-day licenses cover exactly that, one day, so you need two to do a full weekend of ECCC racing. It therefore makes sense to buy an annual even if you're just doing two weekends of racing at any point in the year.

If you will be doing any non-collegiate racing, i.e., over the summer, you should purchase a standard license and get the free collegiate add-on. Otherwise you'll wind up paying the collegiate fee and the standard fee if you change your mind later. Due to the embedded nature of ECCC CX races, cyclocross racers must have a standard license for their category (may be a UCI license at some events) in addition to their collegiate license!

Funds from license purchases go to a variety of uses:

  • Part of the money channels back to fund conference operations.
  • The largest portion goes to USAC's member insurance, which provides catastrophic medical coverage for incidents that occur in sanctioned events. More information on USAC's insurance programs is available on the website.
  • The remainder goes to fund national collegiate operations and general USAC activities.

More information about how license funds are spent is available in the collegiate license breakdown.

Boston College and Boston University duke it out on the USMA circuit race hill, 2010.
Boston College and Boston University duke it out on the USMA circuit race hill, 2010.
last modified January 22, 2014, at 08:49 AM